Monday, April 1, 2013

Personal Style: Battle

Dress: Handmade/Me, Jacket: DIY/Me, Leggings: Target, Boots: Dr Martens
Trying out a new hair style. Kind of like it, kind of don't.


I changed up my '59 Sound jacket with a different patch on the back and I added a skully patch and an eagle patch on the shoulders, and a few punk pins and studs on the pocket. Even though it's not a battle jacket, it does feel more like a protective armor (Mouse has been making a "battle jacket" on tumblr- if it is a jacket that makes you feel tough and cool and acts as a protective shell against the outside world, this might be my battle jacket. I don't have any band patches, though)... (quick Google search- this would NOT qualify as a battle jacket to other people, but it does to me since it's as close as I'd get and still operates as armor).

I love the fabric of this dress. It's a pretty blue and brown pattern, and it's super soft. I only had enough to make the back and front of the dress, so the sleeves are made from white fabric. It's a nice contrast. I didn't belt my dress today, either, which does make it kind of look like a night gown but that's okay. I needed a cozy comfy outfit day and this worked. I felt really good.

It was actually kind of nice because I was wearing jeans (very cold) for a while, and everyone kept saying how I looked like I'd lost weight. I asked someone about it and they said it was because my dresses weren't very figure flattering. And it made me really self-conscious about wearing my dresses. In fact, I might have stopped wearing them. I'm pretty sure I told you this story. But I was still making them and I made this one and wore it for the first time without even a belt to emphasize my waist, and one of my customers in the shop that I haven't seen in a while asked if I'd lost weight. So I guess they are kind of figure flattering, after all.

Not that it matters. I don't take losing weight as a compliment. I think it can actually be a rather hurtful thing to say if said to the wrong person. And I don't wear my dresses to show off my body- I wear them because they are that sixties shift dress style I always admired as a kid and can even look a little rockabilly if worn with the right shoes. And they are comfy and I can make them in LOTS of different colors. That is why I wear my dresses. Still, it was an interesting thing to take note of- it wasn't the dresses after all. Maybe I just thinned down a bit and didn't notice.

10 comments:

  1. Lookin' good, buddy. Your smile is radiant. And the dress is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this dress and jacket combo! I don't think it looks like a nightgown at all! It's really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the color and pattern of the dress and the new patches on the jacket =].

    Ugh yes I HATE when people comment on my weight. It's almost always women (except my Dad who always thinks I need to eat more which is just a fatherly love thing). My weight fluctuates (as does everyone's really) due to hormonal imbalances, and I just wish people weren't so obsessed with what size I am. Yes, congrats you noticed I've lost/gained weight...you aren't getting a trophy. It just makes me feel like the only thing worth noting on me is my size, and I'd like to think I have more to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your hair like this and I think you look so pretty & happy in these pics. I find it kind of annoying how womens weight is always considered an ok topic of conversation. I lost a lot of weight when we lived in Taipei, but it was because I was working 6 days a week, often 9 plus hours a day and eating poorly. Was pretty annoying when I came home & everyone told me how great I looked! Anyway I love the dress & I really love the idea of a battle jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was gonna say, maybe you did lose weight? I still think weight is an extremely weird thing for people to be okay with commenting on in other people. I understand us bloggers saying 'that really flatters or suits your figure' but that's talking about the clothes. I think your jeans and your dresses are both totally legit fabulous.

    Your hair looks totally gorgeous in these photos. I love how the color is and the length. I'm normally one to say "cut it" or "dye it!" but I really love how your hair is going.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dress is ADORABLE!!!
    I'm so inspired by yur "battle jacket" i've been on the hunt for a thrifted denim jacket to make into my own!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your battle jacket is whatever the hell you want it to be. and i loooove yours x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice personalizations on your jacket. :-)

    I LOVE your dresses. The fabric choices/finds always make me smile. i think they're feminine and fun, and look good on you. (And am super jealous as it's still too f-ing cold here for me to toss aside the jeans and long johns yet.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look beautiful, and I love your dresses! I love what you've done with that jacket too.

    It's weird, but since I had Ivan even though my body has changed so much, and I'm still a bit bigger than I used to be, I'm so much more comfortable with myself. I'm all fuck figure flattering, and fuck what people think of my body - this body grew a baby, it's fucking amazing, and if people don't like it then they can not look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had no idea Target sold legging until I saw this... thx for posting!! (I just bought 2 pairs...)

    ReplyDelete